I bought a big bunch of Swiss chard today at the farmer's market. I used about half of it to make this tasty recipe. The cheese and vinegar provide a nice offset to the slight bitterness of the chard. It makes a great side dish to your favorite grilled meat.
I decided to serve it with a nice piece of grilled sirloin steak.
- 4 cups Swiss chard
- 1 medium tomato (approx. 1 cup)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 Tbs balsamic vinegar
- 2 Tbs feta cheese (I used fat free)
- 1/4 cup water
- Wash Swiss chard and separate stems/ribs from leaves.
- Rough chop chard stems and leaves.
- Chop tomato.
- Add oil and minced garlic to a cold skillet.
- Heat until oil gets hot and garlic releases scent.
- Add chard stems.
- Cook approx. 3 minutes, until stems start to soften.
- Add tomatoes, chard leaves, and water.
- Cook approx. 3-4 minutes, until leaves and tomatoes soften and most of the water has evaporated.
- Add vinegar and mix well.
- Serve and top with feta cheese.