Friday, June 12, 2009

Chicken Cacciatore - kind of

Approx. 300 Calories per serving. Recipe serves 2.

I had just finished slicing bell peppers and onions to make chicken fajitas for dinner tonight when I realized that I didn't have any Worcestershire sauce. Since that was out, I wondered what I could make with basically the same ingredients. I decided to make my version of chicken cacciatore (but chunkier and less mushy than the real version). I had planned to add wine, but at the last minute I was too lazy to open a bottle and left it out. The tomatoes and mushrooms gave it enough moisture, so I didn't miss it.

It turned out pretty tasty, except I was a bit heavy handed with the spices - in fact it was nose-running spicy. If you don't like a lot of spice, trim back on the crushed red peppers, pepper, and/or garlic.

Ingredients
  • 8 oz. boneless skinless chicken breast (I used "chicken tenders" strips)
  • 1 cup red bell pepper
  • 1 cup yellow bell pepper
  • 1 cup orange bell pepper
  • 1 cup onion
  • 1 cup mushrooms
  • 2 medium tomatoes
  • 12 basil leaves (not counting garnish)
  • 3 cloves garlic
  • 1 1/2 tsp dried oregano
  • 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
  • 1/4 tsp black pepper
  • 1 Tbs olive oil

Directions
  1. Slice peppers and onions into long strips.
  2. Slice mushrooms and basil.
  3. Dice tomatoes.
  4. Heat olive oil in a skillet.
  5. Add garlic, onions, and bell peppers.
  6. Once they are tender, add mushrooms, oregano, black pepper, and crushed red pepper.
  7. Once the mushrooms start giving off water, add diced tomatoes. (You can add wine here if you want to include it).
  8. Add chicken pieces to the pan, cooking the chicken in the vegetable juices.
  9. Add basil right before turning off the heat.
  10. Serve once the chicken is completely cooked and the vegetables are soft.

No comments: