Friday, January 22, 2010

Potato and Broccoli Soup

Approx. 350 Calories per serving. Recipe makes 2 servings.

It's Friday night and time to toss some unused veggies together into a soup. Earlier this week I ate the florets off the broccoli, but saved the stems. I chopped them up, added a few chopped potatoes and boiled them together to make this simple soup. I wish I would have had a more broccoli, since I tasted mostly potato with just a hint of broccoli. I would have liked the broccoli flavor to be stronger.

I also had a little chunk of Fiscalini's San Joaquin Gold cheese left over from a party earlier in the month. I shaved off several slices and added them to the soup. Since the cheese is already rather salty, I didn't add any salt to the soup. As I stirred in the cheese, not all of it completely melted, so I got nice little bits of gooey, globby, cheesy goodness in some bites. Yum!


Ingredients
  • 3 cups potatoes
  • 2 cups broccoli (I used stems only)
  • 2 oz hard cheese
  • water
  • red pepper flakes, to taste
  • black pepper, to taste

Directions
  1. Wash and dice potatoes - approx. 1/2" cubes (I left the skin on)
  2. Cut broccoli stems into 1/2" slices
  3. Add broccoli and potatoes to a pot.
  4. Add enough water to cover by about 1".
  5. Add red pepper flakes, to taste (I used approx. 1/4 tsp)
  6. Boil until potatoes and broccoli are soft.
  7. Remove from heat and blend (I used an immersion blender).
  8. Season with black pepper.
  9. Serve, garnished with cheese (stir it in so it partially melts).

No comments: