Friday, July 24, 2009

Baby eggplant with haricots verts


Approx. 280 Calories per serving. Recipe makes 1 serving.

This was a quick and simple dish. I thought it turned out a little bit oily, so next time around I would probably only use about 2/3 Tbs rather than a full one. Also, about half way through cooking the eggplant, the garlic was just starting to burn. I added 1/4 cup of water to prevent the garlic from burning and getting bitter. That also seemed to soften the eggplant, which had slightly tough skin.

When cooking with fresh chili peppers, I usually remember to taste a little piece before adding it to the recipe. That way I have an idea as to whether it is on the spicy side or not, and adjust accordingly. I forgot to taste it today. There wasn't much kick to the chili I was using, so the dish turned out a bit blander than I expected. I fixed it by adding a couple dashes of crushed red pepper half way through my meal. Had I remembered to taste the chili, I would have added a second chili to boost the spice.

Ingredients
  • 8 baby eggplants (approx. 3 cups)
  • 1 Anaheim chili pepper (approx. 1/2 cup)
  • 1 cup haricot verts (I used frozen)
  • 1/4 cup green onion
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 2 cloves garlic
  • 1 Tbs olive oil
  • 2 Tbs low sodium soy sauce

Directions
  1. Seed chili pepper and slice into thin strips.
  2. Cut eggplant into thin strips.
  3. Slice green onion.
  4. Mince garlic.
  5. Add oil, garlic, and chili pepper to a cold pan.
  6. Heat until garlic releases its aroma.
  7. Add sliced eggplant to the pan.
  8. Stir fry until nearly tender.
  9. Add the haricots verts and soy sauce. Cook until tender.
  10. Add green onion moments before removing from the heat.

No comments: