Saturday, July 18, 2009

Julienned zucchini with tomato basil sauce

Approx. 140 Calories per serving. Recipe makes 1 serving.

At the farmer's market today, I loaded up on zucchini, tomatoes and a big bouquet of basil. Ever since getting home (at 9 am) and unpacking my produce, I craved spaghetti. However, I really didn't want the heaviness of pasta since it is so hot outside (and didn't want to heat up the kitchen by boiling water). Instead, I decided to put the zucchini to good use and make a "pasta" out of it. It turned out quite tasty and satisfying, without being too heavy.

I used a julienne peeler to make the zucchini "pasta"- by repeatedly running it down the outside of the zucchini and stopping once I hit seeds. I only used about 2 cups of julienned zucchini for this recipe and saved the rest for another day.

Ingredients
  • 2 tsp olive oil
  • 1 large zucchini (approx. 2 cups used)
  • 1 roma tomato
  • 1 clove garlic
  • 1/4 cup fresh basil (about 12 leaves)
  • black pepper, to taste

Directions
  1. Julienne the zucchini.
  2. Dice the tomato and chop the basil.
  3. Press the garlic and add half of it and 1 tsp of oil to a frying pan.
  4. Once the garlic releases its scent, lightly sauté the zucchini until tender.
  5. Remove the zucchini from the heat.
  6. Add the remaining oil and garlic to the pan.
  7. Sauté the tomato and basil to make a sauce.
  8. Season with freshly ground black pepper to taste.
  9. Serve on the bed of zucchini "noodles".

No comments: