Friday, July 17, 2009

Chili Lime Sole

Approx. 210 Calories per serving. Recipe makes 1 serving.

The grocery store had nice looking Dover sole tonight, so I picked up two small fillets for dinner. I needed to finish off the rest of the bok choy, so decided to make a nice simple dish. I debated whether to cook the fish first, and then deglaze the fish pan to flavor the bok choy, or to cook the bok choy first (because there was no way that I was going to dirty two pans!) Since the bok choy would stay warmer longer, I cooked it first.

I really liked the flavor combination of the lime and the red pepper flakes. I put on just enough to flavor, but not overpower the fish, and the lime juice that hit the bok choy was just perfect. If I had cooked the bok choy in the fish pan, it would have overwhelmed the flavor and been too much of the same. I know, because after I finished eating this meal, I didn't want the flavor left in the fish pan to go to waste, so I added a splash of vegetable broth to deglaze the pan and then tossed in some spinach. It was delicious as a stand alone dish, but would have been too much flavor intensity if I combined it with the fish.


Ingredients
  • 2 fillets Dover sole (approx. 2.5 oz.)
  • 2 cups baby bok choy leaves
  • 2 tsp olive oil
  • 1 key lime
  • 1/8 tsp crushed red pepper flakes, or to taste
  • black pepper, to taste

Directions
  1. Sauté bok choy in 1 tsp olive oil until just wilted.
  2. Remove from pan and turn heat to low.
  3. Add 1 tsp of olive oil to the same pan and add fish fillets.
  4. Add black and red pepper to top side of fish.
  5. Heat for 2-3 minutes and gently flip the fish.
  6. Squeeze the juice from 1/2 the lime over the fish.
  7. Add black and red pepper to the exposed side of the fish.
  8. Heat for 2-3 more minutes, or until the fish is cooked and flaky.
  9. Serve over the bok choy.
  10. Squeeze the juice from the other 1/2 of the lime over the fish.

No comments: