Sunday, September 6, 2009

Tortellini with red pepper and artichoke pesto

Approx. 400 Calories per serving. Recipe makes 1 serving.

I had a partial package of cheese tortellini in the freezer that was starting to look a little too frosty, so I decided to make a dent in it. I also wanted to use up some arugula but wasn't in the mood for a salad. This recipe was a great way to combine the two. Now, I just need to figure out what to do with the rest of the pesto I made.


Ingredients
  1. 1 cup cheese tortellini (I used Buitoni brand)
  2. 1 cup arugula
  3. 1 medium tomato (approx. 1 cup chopped)
  4. 2 Tbs red pepper and artichoke pesto

Ingredients for red pepper and artichoke pesto
(makes 1/2 cup of pesto)
  • 1 clove garlic
  • 1/4 cup roasted red peppers (I bought them in a jar - Safeway brand)
  • 1/4 cup canned artichoke hearts
  • 2 tsp olive oil
  • crushed red pepper flakes, to taste

Directions
  1. Add pasta to a pot of boiling water. Boil until tender.
  2. While pasta is boiling, put all ingredients for pesto in a food processor and chop/mix.
  3. Add pesto and chopped tomato to a skillet.
  4. Cook until warm and tomatoes start to get soft.
  5. Add arugula and cook until wilted.
  6. Add cooked and drained pasta.
  7. Toss until mixed and serve.

No comments: