Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Turnip, Apple, and Pomegranate Salad

Approx. 60 Calories per serving. Recipe makes 2 servings.

I bought some salad turnips at the market this week, so I decided to use two of them for a salad. They had the flavor of a mild radish, so you could easily use radish for this recipe instead of the turnips. I thought the tart of the apple and the sweet of the pomegranate would nicely balance the sharpness of the turnip/radish taste. Since I was planning on eating this immediately after making it, I didn't add any lemon to the apples to keep them from turning brown. If you plan to make this in advance, toss the apples with some lemon juice before mixing with the turnips.

Ingredients

  • 2 medium salad turnips
  • 1 small Granny Smith apple
  • 1/4 cup pomegranate seeds
  • 2 Tbs red wine vinegar
Directions
  1. Wash and then grate the turnips (I left the skin on)
  2. Dice the apple.
  3. Toss the apple, vinegar, and turnips together.
  4. Stir in pomegranate seeds (rinse first if they are covered with juice, otherwise the entire salad will turn purple).
  5. Serve immediately.

No comments: