Thursday, December 24, 2009

Butternut squash with Swiss chard and leeks

Approx. 125 Calories per serving. Recipe makes 2 servings.

I had half a squash left over, so I decided to make a simple saute with leeks and Swiss chard. I ate this as my main dish (entire meal) so I ate both servings, but the recipe would make two generous side dish servings.

I liked the addition of leeks instead of onions, which provided a mellow flavor. I was in the mood for something spicy, so I added a lot of red pepper flakes too.

I tossed the squash cubes in the microwave (approx. 4 minutes) while I washed and chopped the chard and leeks. This cut down on the cooking time, so nothing burnt while the squash was getting soft.


Ingredients
  • 1 1/2 cups butternut squash
  • 2 cups Swiss chard
  • 1 small leek (approx. 1/2 cup)
  • 1/2 cup vegetable stock
  • 1 tsp olive oil
  • crushed red pepper flakes, to taste.
Directions
  1. Peel and cut squash into 1/2" cubes.
  2. Wash and chop leeks and chard. While doing this, cook squash in the microwave.
  3. Add oil and red pepper flakes to a skillet.
  4. Heat and then add leeks.
  5. Saute to carmelize leeks.
  6. Add vegetable stock and squash; mix well.
  7. Add chard and cook until chard wilts and is tender.

No comments: