Thursday, December 17, 2009

Rapini with onion and tomatoes


Approx. 200 Calories per serving. Recipe makes 1 serving.

I had the big bunch of rapini that I wanted to use it while it was still fresh. I really didn't feel like eating the leaves, so as I washed it, I removed the leaves and saved them for a different recipe. I chopped the stems into one inch sections and cooked the buds. This was just a nice simple saute of onions, garlic, red pepper, and the rapini. I didn't want the tomatoes to get too soft so I just tossed them in at the end and heated them through. This provided a very filling single serving as a main course. It could also be split into two servings if eating it as a side dish with a piece of meat.


Ingredients


  • 1 bunch rapini, stems and buds only (approx. 8 oz)
  • 1 cup cherry tomatoes
  • 1/2 cup onion
  • 1/4 cup vegetable stock
  • 2 cloves garlic
  • 1 tsp olive oil
  • red pepper flakes, to taste

Directions


  1. Remove leaves from rapini (save for a different recipe).
  2. Cut stems into 1 inch sections (toss any woody sections of the stem).
  3. Slice onion and cut cherry tomatoes in half.
  4. Add oil, red pepper, and grated garlic to a frying pan.
  5. Heat until garlic releases scent and then add onions and rapini stems.
  6. Cook until stems are tender, then add vegetable stock and rapini buds.
  7. Cook until buds are tender and then add cherry tomatoes.
  8. Cook until tomatoes are warm all the way through.
  9. Remove from heat and serve.

No comments: