Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Lingcod in Orange Vera Cruz Sauce

Approx. 225 Calories per serving. Recipe makes 2 servings.

I'm not a fan of thawing and refreezing meat, and I didn't want the fish to sit in the fridge for too long, so I decided that I would cook up the rest of the cod tonight. I thought a Vera Cruz type of sauce would be good, but I really didn't want to take the time to look up a recipe, so I just made one up based on the ingredients I remembered (onion, capers, green olives, tomatoes). I thought I would add a bit of a twist and throw in some Clementine oranges too. It turned out pretty good. I liked the sweet taste of the orange combined with the briny taste of the capers and olives.

I had started trying to cut the Clementines into segments so that I didn't get the membrane, but they were so small and I was making a mess. I gave up on that process and just peeled the remaining orange and broke apart the segments. I don't think it impacted the taste at all. It would probably be easier if I had been using a regular sized orange, instead of the Clementines.

Ingredients
  • 8 oz. lingcod
  • 2 Clementine oranges
  • 1 medium tomato (approx. 1 cup)
  • 12 small Manzanilla olives
  • 1 shallot (approx. 1/4 cup)
  • 1 Tbs capers (including liquid)
  • 2 Tbs rice vinegar
  • 2 cups water
  • black pepper to taste

Directions
  1. Slice shallot and dice tomato.
  2. Zest orange and then peel/segment.
  3. Add water to a non-stick skillet and bring to boil.
  4. Add fish, tomatoes, shallots, olives, orange segments, and half the orange zest.
  5. Simmer until fish is cooked about half way up (approx. 4 minutes) and then flip.
  6. Cover fish with sauce and continue to simmer another 3-4 minutes.
  7. If the sauce starts to dry out, add more water (small amount at a time).
  8. When the fish is done and flakes, remove from the pan and put on the serving plate.
  9. Add the vinegar, capers, black pepper, and remaining orange zest to the sauce in the pan.
  10. Mix well and then pour remaining sauce over the fish and serve.

No comments: