Monday, December 14, 2009

Steamed lingcod with bok choy

Approx. 170 Calories per serving. Recipe makes 2 servings.

I bought a one pound package of Alaskan lingcod from the Elfish Company and needed to figure out how to cook it. I decided that I would make a garlic ginger sauce and steam it with bok choy. I used half the package, planning on leftovers, but while it was steaming I remembered that I didn't like to reheat leftover fish, so I just decided to eat both servings :-) (really had to twist my arm on that one!!!)

Ingredients

  • 8 oz Alaskan lingcod
  • 1 large bunch bok choy (approx. 4 cups)
  • 2 large green onions (the bulb was slightly smaller than a ping pong ball)
  • 2 cloves garlic
  • 1 Tbs ginger
  • 2 Tbs soy sauce (low sodium)
  • 3 Tbs rice vinegar
  • water
Directions
  1. Wash bok choy.
  2. Cut green onions into 1" pieces and slice the bulb.
  3. Grate the ginger and the garlic.
  4. In a small bowl, mix the ginger, garlic, soy sauce, and rice vinegar.
  5. Line the bottom of the steamer basket with bok choy leaves (I filled a second steamer basket with the remaining leaves).
  6. Place the fish on the bok choy, skin side down.
  7. Spoon the garlic ginger sauce on top of the fish.
  8. Cover with green onion stems.
  9. Add green onion bulbs around edges of the steamer basket.

    This is what it looked like before I steamed it.

  10. Add 2" of water to a large pot and bring to boil.
  11. Place steamer baskets on top of the pot. (I put the fish basket on top, so juices could drip down into the basket that just contained the bok choy.)
  12. Steam for approx. 8 minutes, or until fish flakes.
This is what it looked like cooking. The top basket contains the main meal and the bottom basket contains additional bok choy.

No comments: