Sunday, December 13, 2009

Thai Red Curry Eggplant

Approx. 225 Calories per serving. Recipe makes 2 servings.

I was craving something really spicy, so I decided to make eggplant in a Thai red curry sauce. I didn't plan to eat it with rice, so I evaporated off most of the water to make a thick sauce that really coated the vegetables. If you eat it with rice, just leave more water in the sauce.

This recipe only requires 1/4 cup of coconut milk (and a can holds 6X that much), so what do you do with the rest?


I freeze it. I frequently use 1/4 cup increments, so I just pour the coconut milk directly into measuring cups and stick them in the freezer. Once the milk is frozen, I pop it out of the measuring cup, wrap each frozen piece in plastic wrap, and then stick all of them in a plastic bag. I can just pull one out of the freezer each time I need it and drop it directly into the pan (without thawing). The thawed texture is a little off if you are using it in a cold recipe, but it doesn't seem to matter if you are cooking with it.

Ingredients
  • 4 cups baby eggplant (approx. 1/2 lb)
  • 3 cups snap peas (in pods)
  • 1 red chili pepper
  • 1/2 cup yellow onion
  • 1/4 cup coconut milk
  • 1 Tbs Thai red curry paste (or to taste)
  • 2 cups water

Directions

  1. Chop onion and slice chili pepper.
  2. Cut each baby eggplant in half.
  3. Add 2 cups water to a skillet and bring to boil.
  4. Mix in curry paste.
  5. Add eggplant and cook until tender.
  6. Add yellow onion, snap peas, and coconut milk.
  7. Cook until eggplant is soft and peas are tender.
  8. Add sliced chili peppers. Cook until peppers are warm and water has evaporated off to desired thickness.
  9. Serve alone or with rice.

No comments: