Friday, December 18, 2009

Swiss brazeli cookies

Approx. 70 Calories per cookie. Recipe makes approx. 45 cookies.

I was in a festive holiday mood tonight and decided to make some cookies. Since I'm afraid of my oven, that would normally be quite the challenge. Luckily, I had my handy dandy brazeli iron (also spelled bratzeli, bratzli, bretzel, brezel, etc.), so I didn't need an oven.
The recipe that mom gave me had too many ingredients and required that the dough sit overnight. I figured that I would no longer be in the mood to make cookies tomorrow, so I better strike while the iron was hot! I followed the recipe that came right on the iron, but estimated the conversions from metric to US customary measurements. I also decided to add a little bit of vanilla extract and cinnamon.





Ingredients
  • 8 Tbs butter
  • 1 1/4 cup sugar
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 pinch salt
  • 2 1/4 cup flour
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract

Directions
  1. Soften butter and slowly beat in egg and sugar.
  2. Slowly beat in flour.
  3. Add cinnamon and vanilla extract and mix well.
  4. Let mixture sit for 2 hours.
  5. Ladle batter/dough (approx. size of a ping pong ball) onto center of the hot iron.
  6. Close the iron and press tight for approx. 1 minute, or until cookie is cooked and golden.
  7. Remove cookie from iron.
  8. Trim edges and cut into 4 sections.
  9. Continue cooking 4 cookies at a time until batter is gone.

7 comments:

Melinda said...

Where did you get your iron? We have a recipe that a friend of the family made in her old brazeli iron -- after she died, some Texas collector bought it for more money than we could scrounge up. I've been wanting to make brazeli for ages. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Yes! Please tell where you got your iron! This is one of my favorite Christmas cookies!

Heidi said...

It's hard to find Bratzeli irons, but apparently you can use a pizzelle or krumkake iron and it works just fine. I just made my own grandmother's recipe for bratzeli using a pizzelle iron I picked up for $30! Just do a Google search for "pizzelle iron," you should find one :)

Anonymous said...

My family have been making this cookie for more then 80 years Started with my Grandfather now has passed to my Great Niece

Scott said...

Grüezi,
Vielen Dank für die Abkürzung, ich werde mit diesem heute.
Sie sind also Schwiiz? Das ist sehr gut.

Schöni Fäschttäg

Anonymous said...

I got mine at Roberts European Imports. It looks just like the one in your photo.

Anonymous said...

I picked up an old one in excellent condition with cloth covered electric cord and it came in original box...very old for....TWO BUCKS!!! Had no idea what it was as no directions came with it. Just found this recipe and am attempting to make them as we speak. Guess I got a good bargain.