Thursday, January 7, 2010

Herbed Squash and Brussel Sprouts

Approx. 125 Calories per serving. Recipe makes 2 servings.

I was in the mood for something warm and savory today. Brussel sprouts and butternut squash remind me of winter and since I felt wintery cold, I decided that they would be perfect together. I don't know what the technical cooking term is (or even if there is one) for a shallow skillet boil/saute/steam/braise, but that's how I cooked it.

Ingredients
  • 1 small butternut squash (approx 2 1/2 cups)
  • 12 small Brussel sprouts (approx. 1 1/3 cup)
  • 1/8 cup vegetable stock
  • 1/3 cup water
  • 1/2 tsp garlic powder
  • 1/2 tsp dried basil
  • 1/4 tsp oregano
  • 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
  • 1 tsp butter

Directions
  1. Peel butternut squash and cut into 1/2 inch cubes.
  2. Clean, trim, and cut Brussel sprouts in half.
  3. Add water and vegetable stock to a skillet. Bring to a boil.
  4. Add spices and mix well.
  5. Add vegetables and mix well.
  6. Cook until everything is tender but not mushy (approx. 4 minutes).
  7. Add butter to skillet and let it melt, coating vegetables.
  8. Serve as side dish (or meal).

No comments: