Saturday, January 2, 2010

Market Haul


Last year my New Year's Resolution was to shop at the local farmer's market more frequently. I anticipated going once a month (compared to twice a year). I found that even though there aren't many vendors compared to markets in other cities, the quality of the produce is high, and there is quite a bit of seasonal variety. Now, the Downtown Public Market is where I get most of my fresh produce and some meats.


Today I went a bit overboard, and left with my shopping bag overflowing. For fruit, I loaded up on citrus (grapefruits, oranges, and a lemon) and apples (pink lady, Granny Smith, and gala). I bought two types of artisan cheeses. I bought potatoes (white, red, and sweet), onions (red and yellow), a leek, three types of chili peppers, tomatoes, sugar peas, butternut squash, Brussel sprouts, broccoli, kohlrabi, spinach, Swiss chard, and arugula (with flowers). Look for recipes featuring these tasty delights over the next two weeks, since I doubt I will eat all of this during this week.

1 comment:

Joe Stains said...

There is a permanent indoor market by us now in Tempe, its great!