Monday, February 15, 2010

Curried turnips

Approx. 140 Calories per serving. Recipe makes 2 servings.

I love that my neighborhood is filled with delicious smells almost every night as I walk the dogs. Some nights it's steaks or burgers on a grill, other nights I can spell enchiladas, and tonight, I smelled a delicious curry as I was walked the dogs past the Sikh Gurdwara. Of course, that made me totally crave curry tonight. I actually thought about getting Indian take out, but then decided to try making a curry dish using some of the turnips that I have. It really hit the spot. I had planned to eat the leftovers tomorrow, but they didn't last the night.

Ingredients
  • 3 cups turnips
  • 5 Roma or plum tomatoes (approx. 1 cup)
  • 1/2 cup green onion
  • 3 garlic cloves
  • 1 Tbs curry powder
  • 2 Tbs grated ginger
  • 1/2 Tbs olive oil
  • 1/2 cup water

Directions
  1. Dice turnips and tomatoes, slice the green onions.
  2. Grate garlic and ginger.
  3. Add to a skillet with the oil and heat.
  4. Add turnips and coat with curry, garlic, ginger mixture.
  5. Add water and tomatoes.
  6. Cook down until tomatoes are soft and turnips are tender. (Add more water if needed.)
  7. Right before serving, add green onions and mix well.

No comments: