Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Purple cauliflower and potato soup

Approx. 250 Calories per serving. Recipe makes 1 (large) serving.

I've been fighting a bad cold and thought a nice hot bowl of soup would make me feel better. I still had half the purple cauliflower, so I decided to make a festive purple soup. I actually thought it would turn out a bit deeper purple than it did, but I have no complaints. You can use regular cauliflower for this recipe too, but the soup will be beige instead of light purple.

This recipe makes one extremely filling serving if this is your entire meal. Divide it into two servings if you plan to eat it as an appetizer or side dish.

Ingredients
  • 1 medium white potato (1 cup)
  • 2 cups purple cauliflower
  • 1/2 cup onion
  • 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes, or to taste
  • 1 tsp garlic powder
  • salt and pepper, to taste
  • green onions for garnish
  • water (approx. 3 cups)

Directions
  1. Dice potato (I left the skin on) and onion. Cut cauliflower into small bite sized pieces.
  2. Add potatoes, onion, red pepper flakes, and garlic powder to a pot and cover with water.
  3. Boil for 5-10 minutes, or until potatoes are tender.
  4. Add cauliflower and cook until tender.
  5. Blend until smooth (I used an immersion blender).
  6. Garnish with sliced green onions.

No comments: