Saturday, February 13, 2010

Market Haul

I developed a nasty head cold yesterday, and had to force myself out of bed this morning to brave the chilly Phoenix weather (it was only 50 degrees!!) and go to the market this morning. Once I was there, I was overwhelmed with too many choices of things to buy. That's when I remembered the maxim, "feed a cold, starve a fever". Since I have a cold, I decided to feed it this week.

Here's what I picked up today for about $30.
1 bulb of fennel, 2 white potatoes, 4 turnips, 1 carrot, 2 onions, 6 tangelos, 1 lemon, 6 lbs pink lady apples, 1 leek, 1 bunch green onions, 1 bunch cilantro, 2 cucumbers, 1 butternut squash, 1 acorn squash, romain lettuce, swiss chard, snow peas, Brussels sprouts, Roma and heirloom cherry tomatoes, broccoli, and a purple cauliflower.

I'd love suggestions on how to cook the purple cauliflower (does the color bleed into other foods?).

No comments: