Friday, February 12, 2010

Cherry Chicken Acorn Squash

Approx. 250 Calories per serving. Recipe makes 2 servings.

I bought an acorn squash a couple of weeks ago that I hadn't got around to eating yet. I decided that I better use it up before going to the market tomorrow. I thought about just cooking it and eating it with a bit of butter and pepper, but then decided that I wanted to stuff it with something sweet and savory. Based on the limited assortment of stuff in the fridge, this is what I came up with. I enjoyed the taste of it, but the chicken got a bit discolored because of the cherries.

Ingredients
  • 1 medium acorn squash (4" diameter)
  • 4 oz. boneless skinless chicken breast
  • 3 cups spinach
  • 1 cup mushrooms (I used portabella)
  • 1/3 cup sweet cherries (I used frozen and didn't bother to thaw them)
  • 1/8 cup dried bing cherries
  • 1 tsp olive oil
  • 1/2 cup water

Directions
  1. Cut squash in half and remove seeds/strings.
  2. Poke skin several times with a fork, cover with a wet paper towel, and then microwave on high for 5-6 minutes, or until tender (you could also bake it in the oven if you prefer).
  3. While squash is cooking, chop cherries, spinach, mushrooms, and chicken.
  4. Add oil and chicken to a skillet. Cook until chicken is cooked all the way through.
  5. Add all remaining ingredients and cook until spinach and mushrooms are soft.
  6. Fill cooked squash halves with the chicken, cherry, spinach mixture.

No comments: