Thursday, February 11, 2010

Swiss chard with beans and tomatoes

Approx. 200 Calories per serving. Recipe makes 3 servings.

Swiss chard is one of my favorite greens (along with spinach) to cook. Often, I just saute it with a little garlic, olive oil, and red pepper flakes, but every now and then I like to dress it up a little and toss in a few other veggies or some meat. Tonight, I decided that garbanzo beans would round this out from a tasty side dish and into a main dish.

This dish is just as tasty cold as it is warm. I filled a container full of mixed greens and then added a serving of the leftovers on top and just a drizzle of balsamic vinegar. I can't wait to eat my yummy salad during lunch tomorrow.

Ingredients
  • 3 cups Swiss chard leaves
  • 1 can garbanzo beans
  • 1/2 onion (approx. 2/3 cup)
  • 4 Roma or plum tomatoes (approx. 1 cup)
  • 2 cloves garlic
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 1/2 Tbs olive oil
  • 1 tsp red pepper flakes, or to taste


Directions
  1. Wash and chop the chard (I didn't include the stems this time)
  2. Dice the onion and tomatoes.
  3. Drain and rinse the beans.
  4. Grate the garlic into a skillet with the oil.
  5. Heat the oil and add the onions and red pepper flakes.
  6. Cook until the onions soften.
  7. Add the chard, water, and tomatoes.
  8. Cook until the chard is tender and the liquid has evaporated off.
  9. Add the beans and mix well. Cook until the beans are hot all the way through.

No comments: