Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Skillet ground chicken chili

Approx. 250 Calories per serving. Recipe makes 3 servings.

I was going to make chili in the crock pot this morning so that it would be done and ready for dinner when I got home from work tonight. I usually assemble everything the night before and didn't, and I was running a little late this morning and didn't have time. I needed to use up the ground chicken, so I made a quick skillet chili for dinner instead. The flavors aren't as blended together as they would be if it simmered all day, but it was still quite tasty, and I actually liked the non-soggy jalapeno slices in it.

Ingredients
  • 4 oz ground chicken breast (you could also use turkey, beef, etc.)
  • 1 can red kidney beans
  • 1 jalapeno
  • 4 Roma or plum tomatoes
  • 1/2 cup yellow onion
  • 1 tsp olive oil
  • 2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
  • 1 tsp garlic powder
  • 1 Tbs chili powder
  • 1/2 tsp ground cumin
Directions
  1. Dice onion and tomatoes.
  2. Slice jalapeno (leave seeds in if you want it spicy).
  3. Add oil to a skillet and heat.
  4. Add ground chicken, onions, and spices.
  5. Cook until well blended and chicken is cooked all the way through.
  6. Drain and rinse the can of beans.
  7. Add the jalapeno slices, tomatoes, and the beans.
  8. Heat until the tomatoes are soft and the beans are hot all the way through.

No comments: