Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Dill Halibut and Potatoes

Approx. 340 Calories per serving. Recipe makes 1 serving.

I couldn't really decide what I wanted for dinner tonight. I thought about making a potato dill soup but I had some fish that I needed to use (so I didn't have to refreeze it). But I really wanted potato dill soup. That's when it hit me that I really just wanted the flavors of potato and dill together, and decided that the fish would work with it. I had planned to add a little pat of butter to it, but decided that butter wasn't needed after I tasted it. Because the potato slices were so thin, this dish had a very light taste to it, even though it was quite hardy.

I don't have much counter space, and most of my cupboards are filled with martini glasses and booze, so I don't have lots of space for kitchen appliances. As a result, my kitchen is pretty low tech. I just used a cheapo box grater to slice the potatoes and to grate the lemon zest (mine doesn't even have the fancy bottom that catches the stuff).

Ingredients

  • 3 oz halibut
  • 2 small red potatoes (approx. 1 1/2 cup)
  • 1/2 lemon
  • 5-6 sprigs of dill
  • water (approx. 2 cups)

Directions

  1. Wash potatoes and cut into thin slices.
  2. Grate zest from lemon.
  3. Chop dill, removing any woody stems.
  4. Add water, half the dill, and potato slices to a skillet.
  5. Heat until potatoes are tender but not completely cooked (approx. 3 minutes).
  6. Add the fish and squeeze the juice from the lemon on top.
  7. Cook for about 2 minutes and then flip.
  8. Cover the fish and potatoes with more dill and continue cooking until the fish flakes and is cooked all the way through (about 2 more minutes).
  9. Serve and garnish with the lemon zest and remaining dill.

No comments: