Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Halibut ai Frutti di Bosco

Approx. 265 Calories per serving. Recipe makes 2 servings.

I was in San Diego last week and had dinner at Asti Ristorante one night. I ordered the Tilapia ai Frutti di Bosco, which was described as grilled tilapia topped with berries and extra virgin olive oil. I asked them to go light on the oil, since I didn't want the fish swimming in it. They brought me a beautiful grilled tilapia fillet, topped with whole blueberries, diced strawberries, and diced ripe tomatoes. Tomatoes? I didn't notice any olive oil in the sauce, so I guess they really went light. At first I thought the tomatoes in the berry sauce would be weird, but because they were so ripe, it was delicious! So delicious that all I could think about for the last week is buying fish at the farmer's market so I could try to recreate this dish. The tiramisu was AMAZING too, but I'm not even going to attempt to recreate that dish!

I'm not a huge fan of tilapia, so I decided to use halibut for my version. I also decided to toss in a couple yellow cherry tomatoes for some added color, and a little bit of fresh mint, just to boost the flavor. I also added a little white wine while I cooked the fish. (I drank a glass of white wine in the restaurant while enjoying this dish.) While it doesn't taste exactly the same as the restaurant's, it is pretty close. And very tasty! I'll probably resist making this again though until summer, when the berries are actually in season (and not so expensive!).

Ingredients
  • 2 halibut fillets (5 oz each)
  • 3 large strawberries
  • 1/4 cup blueberries
  • 1/2 medium tomato (very ripe)
  • 2 yellow cherry tomatoes
  • 5 leaves of mint (plus leaves for garnish)
  • 1 tsp olive oil
  • 1 oz white wine
  • black pepper, to taste

Directions
  1. Dice strawberries and tomatoes.
  2. Chop mint.
  3. Add mint, stawberries, blueberries, and tomatoes together and let flavors marry.
  4. Rinse halibut and pat dry.
  5. Season each side with black pepper.
  6. Add oil to a skillet and add the halibut fillets.
  7. Cook approx. 4 minutes and then flip.
  8. Add wine to the pan and cover.
  9. Cook approx. 4 more minutes (or until fish flakes).
  10. Remove from heat and top with the wild berry sauce.
  11. Garnish with additional mint leaves.

No comments: