Sunday, March 21, 2010

Halibut salad with orange dressing

Approx. 290 Calories per serving. Recipe makes 1 serving.

I had so many fresh colorful veggies from the farmer's market, that I wanted to start eating them right away. I decided to make a colorful salad for lunch using the multi-colored carrots. I was a bit disappointed when I cut into the purple carrots to discover that the purple color was just on the skin and the carrot inside was orange. Oh well. It was still delish!

As I was cooking the fish, I decided to add juice from one orange to give it some sweetness, and then to serve as the dressing for the salad. I was quite pleased with the results. The salad had a nice sweet and sour taste with the vinegar.

Ingredients
  • 3 oz halibut (or other firm white fish)
  • 1 tsp olive oil
  • 2 cups lettuce, chopped
  • 1/2 cup sliced carrots (I used white, orange, and purple carrots)
  • 1/2 cup quartered cherry tomatoes (I used multi-colored heirloom tomatoes)
  • 1 tsp red wine vinegar
  • 1 small orange (juice only)
  • black pepper, to taste

Directions
  1. Add oil to a skillet and place fish fillet on top.
  2. Cover and cook on medium heat for approx. 4 minutes.
  3. Flip the fish and season with pepper.
  4. Cut orange in half and squeeze the juice from both halves over the top of the fish.
  5. Cover the pan and cook for approx. 2 more minutes, or until fish flakes and is done.
  6. Place lettuce, sliced carrots, and quartered cherry tomatoes on a plate.
  7. Place cooked fish on top of salad.
  8. Add vinegar to the orange juice left in the pan and mix well.
  9. Pour the liquid over the fish and salad.
  10. Season with black pepper, if desired.

No comments: