Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Halibut with mashed gingered turnips

Approx. 300 Calories per serving. Recipe makes 1 serving.

The weather has been cold and rainy lately, so I decided to cook something warm and savory to take the chill off. I really like the combination of ginger and turnips, so decided to make gingered mashed turnips. Since that didn't seem like a complete meal, I added some fish and greens. I had already used the turnip greens, so I used Swiss chard for my greens. If the turnips still have their greens, you can use those instead.

My mashed turnips were a bit runny. I should have drained off the cooking water, but I didn't think there was that much, so I didn't bother. I highly recommend draining them before mashing. I also just fork mashed them. You could make them smoother if you blended or whipped them.

Ingredients
  • 4 oz halibut or other firm white fish.
  • 2 medium turnips (approx. 2 cups)
  • 2 cups of greens (I used Swiss chard)
  • 6 tsp grated ginger
  • 1 tsp olive oil
  • water
  • black pepper, to taste

Directions
  1. Wash and dice turnips.
  2. Add grated ginger to the turnips and cook until tender (I added about 1/4 cup water and microwaved for about 6 minutes. You could also boil them).
  3. Add oil to a skillet and cook fish (approx. 3-4 minutes per side) until it flakes.
  4. When the fish is done, remove from heat and let rest.
  5. Using the same skillet, cook greens (add a splash of water if the pan is too dry).
  6. Drain and mash turnips.
  7. Add greens and fish.
  8. Season as needed.

No comments: