Friday, March 12, 2010

Crab Salad

A couple of weeks ago some friends were in town and we got together for a BBQ. I volunteered to bring some appetizers. I originally was going to make three different kinds, but was having a hard time thinking of a third, especially with the constraint that they couldn't be spicy.

Luckily for me, the two I made filled the whole tray and I was saved from having to be creative.

Tonight, the cupboards were pretty bare, and I spied the canned crab I bought for the third appetizer. This is what I was thinking of making, but just couldn't get all that excited about - pea pods stuffed with crab salad. I'm glad I didn't try to bring these. They were a pain to make and looked really messy when I was done (I only made the 5 shown here, but there was enough crab salad to make about 25). I also forgot to add the capers before I started filling the pea pods, so they were really bland.

So then I decided to see if it could be salvaged into a different appetizer. This one was a little better (this picture is without the capers). I stuffed the crab salad into a hollowed out tomato. You could probably fill cherry tomatoes too for finger food. This is a small tomato and could be served as an appetizer for a sit-down dinner. It is a bit messy to eat though. There is enough crab salad to stuff 4 small tomatoes.

Ultimately, I remembered to add the capers, then chopped up the remaining pea pods and tomatoes, and mixed it all together. Not pretty at all (hence no picture) but fairly tasty.

The crab salad has approx. 130 Calories for the full batch (not counting pea pods or tomatoes).

Ingredients

  • 1 can crab meat (approx. 4.5 oz drained)
  • 1 Tbs low fat mayonaise
  • 1 tsp capers (don't forget these or it is really bland!!)
  • 1/4 cup diced red onions
  • 1 squeeze fresh lemon juice
  • black pepper, to taste
Directions
  1. Drain the crab and remove any shell pieces.
  2. Mix with all other ingredients.
  3. Spread on toast, stuff in vegetables, toss on a salad, or just eat it as is.

No comments: