Sunday, March 14, 2010

Fennel Grapefruit Salad

Approx. 125 Calories per serving. Recipe makes 2 servings.

When I used some fennel for a different recipe a while ago, I sliced the entire bulb, even though I only needed half of it. At the time, my thoughts were that I would use the left over slices to make fennel tomato soup. That didn't happen. I decided to make a simple fennel and grapefruit salad. While this had very nice flavor, the fennel pieces were a little too big and crunchy. If you make this, I recommend using very thin/shaved slices, like you can make with a mandoline.

Ingredients
  • 1/2 fennel bulb (approx. 3 cups)
  • fennel leaves, for garnish
  • 2 pink grapefruits
  • black pepper, to taste

Directions
  1. Core fennel and then shave into thin slices.
  2. Place fennel in a bowl.
  3. Remove peel and pith from grapefruit and cut into segments (cut over the bowl that the fennel is in, so the juices and segments cover the fennel).
  4. Allow flavors to blend for 5-10 minutes before serving.
  5. Put fennel and grapefruit segments on a plate. Garnish with black pepper and fennel leaves.

No comments: