Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Winter Vegetable Soup

Approx. 165 Calories per serving. Recipe makes 4 servings.

I was trying to use up the veggies that have been sitting in my fridge for a while and decided to make soup, which is my typical approach. I already ate most of the chard leaves, so I had a bag of mostly stems and leaf fragments. I chopped the stems and added that instead of celery. I had planned to add about 1.5 cups of lima beans, but I only had half that amount, so that's what I used.

With the jalapeno peppers and the red pepper flakes, this ended up very spicy (which was perfect for me). If you don't like spice, cut back on one or both ingredients.

Ingredients
  • 1 large white potato (approx. 2 cups)
  • 1 large carrot (approx. 1 2/3 cups)
  • 1 medium onion (approx. 1 cup)
  • 3 cups Swiss chard (I used mostly stems)
  • 2 jalapeno peppers
  • 3/4 cup lima beans (I used frozen)
  • 2 cloves garlic
  • 1/2 tsp dried basil
  • 1/4 tsp dried oregano
  • 1 tsp red pepper flakes, or to taste
  • 1/4 cup green onion
  • water (approx. 8 cups)
  • salt, to taste

Directions
  1. Dice potatoes and slice the carrots (I left the skin on both of these).
  2. Add to a pot of boiling water (approx. 8 cups)
  3. Dice onion and slice jalapeno peppers (I kept the seeds in the slices)
  4. Add diced onion, grated garlic, and other spices.
  5. Cook until potatoes are tender but not completely done.
  6. Add chard and jalapeno peppers.
  7. Cook until chard and potatoes are done.
  8. Add lima beans. Cook until lima beans are thawed and hot all the way through.
  9. Serve and garnish with sliced green onion.

No comments: