Saturday, April 17, 2010

Curried squash soup

Approx. 200 Calories per serving. Recipe makes 4 servings.

I had a couple different types of winter squash in the kitchen that I wanted to use up. I decided to blend them together into this savory curried soup. This bowl was a little thicker than I anticipated. I added a bit more water to the remaining soup to thin it out a little bit more.

Ingredients
  • 1 small butternut squash (about 3 cups)
  • 1 medium acorn squash (about 2 cups)
  • 2 cups canned pumpkin
  • 1 Tbs olive oil
  • 4 Tbs coconut milk
  • 4 tsp curry powder
  • 2 tsp grated ginger
  • 5 cups water
  • cilantro, for garnish

Directions
  1. Peel and cube the squash. Grate the ginger.
  2. Add olive oil, ginger, and curry powder to a pot.
  3. Cook until the spices release their scent and the ginger softens.
  4. Add water and the cubed squash.
  5. Cook until the squash is soft.
  6. Add the canned pumpkin and coconut milk.
  7. Heat until everything is warm.
  8. Remove from heat and blend (I used an immersion blender).
  9. Garnish with cilantro before serving.

No comments: