Monday, April 5, 2010

Salmon with sauteed beet greens

Approx. 400 Calories per serving. Recipe makes 2 servings.

Salmon is a little too rich tasting for me, so I usually prefer a lighter white fish. However, a nice coho salmon steak was calling my name the other day, so I bought it.

I bought a big bunch of beets (with greens attached) and decided that some spicy garlicy greens would counter the rich taste of the salmon. I also had multi-colored carrots, so I sliced those and added them to the greens for a little more color and texture. Overall, this was a very satisfying dish.

Ingredients
  • 11 oz coho salmon
  • 3 tsp olive oil
  • 2 cloves garlic
  • 1/2 red pepper flakes (or to taste)
  • 4 cups beet greens
  • 1/4 cup carrots

Directions
  1. Add 2 tsp olive oil to a skillet.
  2. Add salmon, skin side down and cover.
  3. Cook on medium for approx. 6 minutes.
  4. Add black pepper to top, then flip and cook approx. 3 more minutes until done (flakes easily).
  5. In a second pan (while salmon is cooking), add 1 tsp olive oil.
  6. Add grated garlic and red pepper flakes.
  7. Heat and then add chopped beet greens and sliced carrots.
  8. Cook until the greens and carrots are tender. If there isn't enough moisture, toss in a splash of water (or stock).
  9. Serve the salmon on top of the greens.

No comments: