Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Melange of veggies

Approx. 130 Calories per serving. Recipe makes 2 servings.

Because I hate washing the big pot, I decided to steam the last 3 artichokes of the season at the same time. I knew I wouldn't be able to eat all 3 at once, so I made a strategic decision. I decided that I would scrape the leaves from all three and then leave the hearts for a future recipe. This recipe incorporates the leftover hearts, along with tomatoes, bell peppers, zucchini, summer squash, and an assortment of herbs. It tasted great served alongside grilled chicken.

Ingredients
  • 3 artichoke hearts (already steamed; you could also use canned - about 1 cup)
  • 1 medium tomato (approx. 1 cup)
  • 1 cup summer squash
  • 2 cups zucchini
  • 1 cup bell pepper (I used a mix of red and yellow)
  • 1 clove garlic
  • 1 tsp olive oil
  • red pepper flakes, to taste

Directions
  1. Chop all of the vegetables.
  2. Heat oil and add grated garlic and red pepper flakes.
  3. Add bell pepper and cook until almost tender.
  4. Add zucchini and summer squash, and cook until just tender.
  5. Add tomatoes and artichoke hearts.
  6. Cook until warm and tomatoes start to soften.
  7. Serve as a side dish.

No comments: