Sunday, May 31, 2009

Fresh market salad

Approx. 200 Calories per serving. Recipe makes 1 (very large) serving.

Yesterday at the Farmer's market I couldn't resist all the tempting veggies. Fresh corn on the cob, dark red tomatoes, the last of the baby zucchini.... When I got home, I wasn't sure which veggie to eat first, so I decided to make a nice salad that had all of them. It can make a nice main course or side dish. If you are making this salad as your main course, this recipe makes one very large serving, although it is probably more appropriate as 2 servings. I was VERY FULL after eating it all, but miraculously I found enough room for a nice fresh juicy peach for dessert. To keep the salad low fat, I only used the egg whites and vinegar, but you can include the yolks and use an oil-based dressing if you prefer the taste.

Ingredients
  • 1 baby zucchini (approx. 1/2 cup)
  • 3 small tomatoes (approx. 1 cup)
  • 1 large slice of onion (approx. 1/4 cup)
  • 1 cob of corn (approx. 3/4 cup)
  • 2 cups baby spinach
  • 1 hard boiled egg (white only)
  • 1 Tbs balsamic vinegar
Directions
  1. Grill zucchini and onion until tender.
  2. Slice kernals from cob. Microwave on high for approx. 30 seconds to cook.
  3. Toss spinach with vinegar.
  4. Add sliced tomatoes, egg white, and warm corn, onions, and zucchini.

No comments: