Thursday, August 6, 2009

Artichoke and sun dried tomato pesto

Approx. 300 Calories per recipe

I had a nice round globe zucchini and wanted to do something that would take advantage of its shape, but I didn't really want to stuff it. I decided to slice it horizontally. Then the tricky part was deciding what to do with it. Because of the general lack of ingredients in my house, I ultimately decided to use it like a cracker and put a spread on it. As a result, the emphasis for this recipe shifted from the zucchini (my original focus) to the spread. It resulted in this pesto. I've included several ways to serve it, but I really think the best way to serve it would be spread on warm crusty french bread or over pasta (I had neither in the house).

Ingredients
  • 6 oz (1/2 can) of artichoke hearts (not marinated)
  • 8 sun dried tomatoes
  • 1 1/2 Tbs olive oil

Directions
  1. Add all ingredients to a food processor.
  2. Blend until everything is chopped and well mixed.
  3. Serve as a spread or over pasta.



Cold pesto on raw zucchini slice with grated parmesan cheese. This tasted ok and would make a nice appetizer for a party.


Cold pesto on raw zucchini with cold boiled shrimp. The shrimp didn't really add anything to this dish. Maybe if it were grilled and hot it might be better, but I doubt it.


Pesto on stove top tortilla pizza with parmesan cheese. Of the ways I tried the pesto, this was my favorite, but I think it would be better on warm french bread or tossed with pasta.

No comments: