Thursday, August 13, 2009

Spicy garlic eggplant with spinach

Approx. 110 Calories per serving. Recipe makes 2 servings.

It's nearing the end of the week, and my fridge is getting pretty empty. I still had eggplant from the farmer's market and small amounts of several other vegetables that I needed to eat. This recipe is basically a way to use up the little odds and ends that I had.

Ingredients
  • 4 cups Japanese eggplant
  • 2 cups spinach
  • 1/2 cup onion
  • 1/2 cup red bell pepper
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1 tsp olive oil
  • 1 Tbs chili garlic sauce (I used Lee Kum Kee brand)
Directions
  1. Chop vegetables.
  2. Heat oil in a frying pan then add onion and eggplant.
  3. Stir fry for 2 minutes, then add water to the pan.
  4. Bring the water to a boil and then add the chili garlic sauce and mix well.
  5. Cook until the eggplant is tender, letting water evaporate. Add more water as needed.
  6. Add red bell pepper and cook 2 more minutes (water should be evaporated at this point).
  7. Add spinach and cook until wilted.
  8. Serve as a main dish or side dish.

1 comment:

Page Keeley said...

I love eggplant! I will surely make this when my Japanese eggplants are ripe. They are still in the blossom stage in my garden right now.