Thursday, November 5, 2009

Black eyed peas

Approx. 200 Calories per serving. Recipe makes 2 servings

I thought the green chilis and black eyed peas would go well together, so made this dish. I tasted one chili to test the level of spice, and it was pretty mild and added two more. I should have tasted all of them, because at least one of them was HOT!!! As a result, this dish ended a little spicer than planned. Luckily, I had an avocado that I could garnish the plate with (not included in calorie total) that helped cut the spice level.

When it came time to make the leftovers, I had the brilliant idea to stick the whole thing in the food processer to make a paste that I could mold into a patty. I was thinking along the line of either falafel or bean burger. I didn't think to add egg or bread, or something to act as a binder. When I plopped my patty into a little bit of oil in the pan to cook, it disintigrated. I ended up smashing the paste into the full bottom of the pan, and cooking it until it got a little crispy. I didn't have luck flipping it, so ended up eating it with just one side crispy. It had the texture of corned beef hash that had been crisped on one side. I scooped that into a large lettuce leaf, and made a wrap. It was pretty good.


Ingredients
  • 2 cups fresh black eyed peas
  • 3 large roasted green chilis (approx. 3/4 cup)
  • 1/2 cup chopped tomatoes
  • 1/4 cup red onion
  • 1/8 cup green onion
  • 1 tsp olive oil
  • water

Directions

  1. Cover peas with water and boil for approx. 30 minutes, or until tender.
  2. Drain peas and set aside.
  3. Add remaining ingredients (except green onion) to pot and saute until all vegetables are warm and slightly softened.
  4. Add peas back to pot and mix well. Heat for 2-3 minutes.
  5. Add green onions and mix well. Heat for 1-2 minutes.
  6. Serve.

No comments: