Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Chicken Chili

Approx. 250 Calories per serving. Recipe makes 3 servings


One of my purchases at the farmer's market was a big bag of roasted green chilis. When I bought them, I wasn't sure what I was going to do with them, but a quick look around the pantry helped me to decide that they would be perfect in a nice chicken chili. The chilis had a nice smoky mild flavor to them, and I decided to not add a lot of other spices, and let the flavor of the chilis come through. Therefore, this has just a mild spice level (at least according to my spice tolerance level).

For the chicken, I just bought boneless skinless breast meat that was already cut into strips. I just added the full strips, and then once the dish was done cooking, teased apart the meat with a fork to make smaller pieces.

Ingredients
  • 1 can pinto beans
  • 5 oz boneless skinless chicken breast
  • 4 roasted chili peppers
  • 1 cup chopped tomato
  • 1 cup green bell pepper
  • 1/2 cup onion
  • 1/2 tsp cumin powder
  • black pepper to taste

Directions
  1. Drain and rinse the can of beans then add to crock pot.
  2. Chop all vegetables and add to crock pot
    (I added the seeds and membranes of the chilis too).
  3. Add chicken.
  4. Mix in spices.
  5. Cook in a crock pot on low/medium heat for about 8 hours.

No comments: