Sunday, November 1, 2009

Fennel and Pomegranate Salad

Approx. 55 Calories per serving. Recipe makes 2 servings.

Every time I see pictures of pomegranates, they show juicy fruits filled with dark red seeds. Every time I buy a pomegranate, I get yellowish or pinkish seeds. Most of the time they are pretty dry. This time, the one I opened was juicy, but instead of the dark red/purple juice that comes in stores, it had a slight pink color and the seeds were more pink than red. I'm not sure if I just have bad luck with pomegranates, or if all the red seeds in pictures are color enhanced.

I never bought fennel before and had no idea what to do with it. I used a little bit of it by chopping up the bulb and adding it to this salad. I really liked the combination of the fennel, saltiness of the cheese, and sweetness of the pomegranates together.

Ingredients
  • 1 cup zucchini
  • 1 cup fennel bulb
  • 2 cups spinach
  • 1/8 cup pomegranate seeds
  • 2 Tbs feta cheese (I used fat free)
  • 2 Tbs red wine vinegar
  • fennel leaf for garnish

Directions
  1. Finely dice the fennel bulb (I used about 1/4 of the bulb)
  2. Rough chop the zucchini
  3. Mix fennel, zucchini, cheese, and vinegar.
  4. Plate on a bed of spinach.
  5. Top with pomegranate seeds.
  6. Garnish with a couple fennel leaves.

No comments: