Monday, November 16, 2009

Fennel Carrot Soup

Approx. 50 Calories per serving. Recipe makes 3 servings.

I didn't really feel like doing much for dinner, and soup is always an easy solution. I can just dump everying in a pot and let it cook until it is ready to eat. You could saute the leeks and fennel before adding the carrots and water, but I didn't feel like doing this extra step and I don't think I sacrificed the flavor at all. As the vegetables cooked, I was a little worried that I didn't use enough carrots. However, once it was all blended, the soup took on a lovely orange shade and I think any more carrots would have completely overwhelmed the fennel taste. Leftovers tasted just as good as the fresh soup (maybe even had a slightly stronger fennel taste).


Ingredients
  • 2 medium carrots (approx. 1 1/4 cup)
  • 1 medium leek (approx. 2/3 cup)
  • 1 bulb fennel (approx. 2 cups)
  • water
  • red pepper flakes, to taste
  • salt, to taste

Directions
  1. Wash and chop leek (white and light green portions)
  2. Wash and core fennel bulb, then rough chop.
  3. Wash and chop carrots (I didn't peel them).
  4. Add vegetables to a sauce pan and cover with water.
  5. Boil until all of the vegetables are soft.
  6. Remove from heat and blend until smooth. (I used an immersion blender.)
  7. Add salt and pepper to taste.
  8. Garnish with fennel leaves.

No comments: