Monday, January 4, 2010

Sauteed Arugula with Grapefruit and Leeks

Approx. 145 Calories per serving. Recipe makes 2 servings.
One of the farmers at the market this weekend was selling arugula flowers. A bunch cost $1.50 (including the leaves) and I decided to give them a try.
The farmer suggested tossing the flowers into a salad, but I was cold and wanted to eat something warm. I decided that I would saute the arugula with a leek and a grapefruit, and then garnish with the flowers.
I made a bit of a mess while attempting to segment the grapefruit. Here's a video of how to segment a grapefruit if you don't know how to do it. She's much more proficient at it than I am!
While I was cooking the arugula, I tossed a piece of steak on the George Foreman grill.
This is what my full meal looked like.
Ingredients
  • 4 cups arugula (plus flowers if you have them)
  • 1 leek (approx. 1 cup)
  • 1 medium grapefruit (approx. 2/3 cup of segments)
  • 1 Tbs olive oil
  • 1/4 cup vegetable stock
Directions
  1. Remove arugula flowers (if you have them) and set aside.
  2. Clean and chop leek and arugula leaves.
  3. Segment the grapefruit, squeezing juice from peel or remaining fruit, and set aside.
  4. Add oil to a skillet and heat.
  5. Saute the leek until tender.
  6. Add vegetable stock and arugula.
  7. Saute until tender.
  8. Add grapefruit segments (and any juice you collected).
  9. Heat until grapefruit is warm.
  10. Serve garnished with arugula flowers.

No comments: