Sunday, February 7, 2010

Brussels sprouts and tomato salad.

Approx. 120 Calories per serving. Recipe makes 1 serving.

I love Brussels sprouts. I love the color, I love the shape, I love the yummy taste of little cabbage goodness. Usually I eat them hot, often with just a drizzle of olive oil or just a little dab of butter.... or with Parmesan cheese. I decided to try something different and eat them cold in a salad. This made the perfect light lunch today.

Ingredients
  • 1 1/2 cup Brussels sprouts
  • 3 Roma or plum tomatoes
  • 2 Tbs balsamic vinegar
  • 1-2 dashes dried oregano
  • 1-2 dashes dried basil
  • 1 tsp red pepper flakes, or to taste.

Directions
  1. Mix vinegar and spices together (you could add a bit of oil too if you want).
  2. Cut the Brussels sprouts in half and cook until just tender.
  3. Run under cold water to cool down.
  4. Add to the vinegar mixture.
  5. Add chopped tomatoes and mix together.
  6. Cool the salad for at least 30 minutes in the refrigerator so everything is cold and the flavors can blend.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What do brussel sprouts taste like anyway? Your photograph looks delicious but I've never eaten them before. They have a stigma of being unpleasant but my recent experience with radicchio and collards has destroyed my assumptions about certain foods.