Friday, April 9, 2010

Bloody Mess!!! Beet cucumber salad

Approx. 125 Calories per serving. Recipe makes 1 serving.

Along with all the beet green dishes, I've also been using the beets in separate dishes. I didn't take pictures of some of the dishes, because I haven't quite figured out how add beets to a dish without making it look like a bloody mess!

This salad is visually unappealing, but it was quite tasty. I liked the sweet earthiness of the beets, the salty tang of the cheese, and the crunchiness of the cucumber. It just looked like a murder scene!

Ingredients
  • 4 small red beets (approx. 1 1/4 cup chopped)
  • 1 small cucumber (approx. 1 cup chopped)
  • 2 Tbs feta cheese (I used fat free, tomato and basil flavored)
  • 1 Tbs red wine vinegar
  • black pepper, to taste

Directions
  1. Wash beets and steam them whole.
  2. Once tender, cool, then peel and cut into cubes.
  3. Toss with vinegar.
  4. Add diced cucumber (I left the skin on).
  5. Add cheese.
  6. Mix well and season with black pepper.
  7. Serve immediately before everything turns beet red!

1 comment:

PhoenixInFlight said...

OMG. I would never have thought of feta and beets?!? Looks great though and I have been longing for some new side dish recipes! I'm going to try it.