Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Gingered shrimp with green onions

Approx. 300 Calories per serving. Recipe makes 1 serving.

My favorite Chinese restaurant, China Chili, has a tasty Sichuan prawns dish, that is made out of butterflied jumbo prawns, battered and deep fried, and coated with a sweet and spicy garlic sauce. It is served on a bed of sliced cucumbers and is sooooo tasty. They also have a pretty good Mongolian chicken dish (they have Mongolian beef too, but I usually don't order beef dishes).

When I opened the fridge, I saw shrimp and cucumbers and thought about making my version (not deep fried) of the Sichuan prawns. I had no idea how they make the sauce though. Then I saw the green onions and thought about making Mongolian shrimp. I have no idea how to make that sauce either, although I'm sure I could have found it on the Internet if I were so inclined to look it up (I wasn't!).

So, I decided since I didn't know how to make either sauce, I would combine the two dishes and make up my own sauce. As a whole, this dish was pretty good, but I used way too many green onions! The green onion flavor was overpowering!!! The recipe below contains only half the amount that I actually used, so your dish won't quite look like mine, but will hopefully taste better.

Ingredients
  • 4 oz shrimp (I used pre-cooked)
  • 2-3 green onions, cut into 1 inch segments -split the white bulbous part into quarters lengthwise (approx 2/3 cups)
  • 1 cucumber, thinly sliced (approx. 1 cup)
  • 2 cloves garlic, grated
  • ginger root, grated (approx. 2 tsp)
  • 1 tsp olive oil
  • red pepper flakes, to taste
  • 1/2 Tbs soy sauce (low sodium)

Directions
  1. Add oil, red pepper, grated garlic, and grated ginger to a skillet.
  2. Heat until it sizzles.
  3. Add green onion slices and cook until they are tender.
  4. Add soy sauce, cucumber slices, and shrimp.
  5. Cook until cucumber softens and shrimp is warm (or cooked if using raw) all the way through.

No comments: