Monday, April 12, 2010

Halibut with tropical mango salsa

Approx. 410 Calories per serving. Recipe makes 1 serving.

I love champagne mangoes and have been looking forward to them being back in season. I decided to use the first ripe one of this season in a fresh mango salsa served over fish. I also bought some edible flowers (I believe they are Nasturtium) at the farmer's market this weekend and was looking for an interesting way to use them. These have a nice peppery flavor that I thought would be a nice addition to the sweet mango and the spicy chili peppers. Plus, they would add some color. So, I chopped up a few flowers and mixed them into the salsa.

The chilis were a bit spicier than I anticipated, so at the last minute I decided to add some coconut milk to the pan while heating the fish, and then toss the salsa in the warm coconut milk. Brilliant!!! It was so good. I actually had enough salsa for 2 servings (the picture only shows half the salsa). I thought about saving the leftover salsa for something else, but it was so good, after I took one bite, I dumped the rest of the salsa on top of the fish and ate it all!

Ingredients
  • 5 1/2 oz halibut or other firm white fish
  • 1 tsp olive oil
  • 1 medium champagne mango (approx. 3/4 cup)
  • 2 small chili peppers (approx. 1/8 cup)
  • 4 sprigs cilantro (approx. 2 Tbs)
  • 8 edible flowers (I think they were Nasturtium)
  • 2 Tbs coconut milk
  • black pepper, to taste

Directions
  1. Peel mango and chop into a fine dice.
  2. Cut chili peppers into thin rings (leaving in seeds).
  3. Finely chop cilantro and 5 edible flowers.
  4. Mix together the mango, cilantro, chili peppers, and flowers.
  5. Add oil and fish to a skillet. Cover and heat on medium for approx. 4 minutes.
  6. Season fish with pepper and flip.
  7. Add coconut milk to the pan, cover, and cook until fish flakes (approx. 3 minutes).
  8. Remove fish. Add mango salsa to pan and toss with warm coconut milk.
  9. When salsa is just warmed, serve over the top of the fish.
  10. Garnish with remaining flowers.

No comments: