Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Golden beet and feta salad

Approx. 140 Calories per serving. Recipe makes 2 servings.
In April, I made a beet, feta, and cucumber salad. While it tasted good, it was very unappetizing because I used red beets, which stained all the other ingredients. I decided to make the same dish using golden beets. While it tasted about the same (actually a little sweeter and less earthy), it was much more visually attractive.

Ingredients

  • 8 small golden beets (approx. 3 cups chopped)
  • 1 medium cucumber (approx. 2 cups chopped)
  • 3 Tbs feta cheese (I used fat free)
  • 3 Tbs red wine vinegar
  • black pepper, to taste

Directions

  1. Peel beets, cut into slices, and steam them (approx. 3 minutes in the microwave).
  2. Toss with vinegar and let cool.
  3. Add diced cucumber (I left the skin on).
  4. Add cheese.
  5. Mix well and season with black pepper.
  6. Serve as side dish or on top of larger salad (as shown below).


    I ate one serving of this beet salad as a side dish with a piece of grilled chicken. For the second serving, I steamed a couple of red beets (let them cool) and then placed them on a bed of romain lettuce and topped it with the second serving of this beet salad. YUM!!

No comments: