Thursday, December 30, 2010

Brussels Sprouts and Lima Beans in Masaman Curry

It was cold and rainy tonight, and I wanted something really hearty and warm. I spotted some Brussels sprouts and Lima beans in the fridge. I LOVE both of these veggies and debated which one to eat, or whether I should combine them in a nice warm chicken soup. I really wasn't in the mood for soup, so I opened the cupboard and stared into it, looking for inspiration.
That's when I spotted this can of Masaman curry paste. I know it's a bit unorthodox to combine these veggies with Masaman curry paste, but I decided to give it a try. (I had a half hour to change my mind because the beans were still in their pods and I had to shuck them first.)
Everything is simmering away, filling the house with the wonderful curry aroma. I like to evaporate off most the liquid, but if you are serving with rice, you can leave the liquid in and serve once the veggies are tender. I really enjoyed the curry flavor with these veggies. It really hit the spot for this cold, rainy evening.
Approx. 200 Calories per serving. Recipe makes 2 servings.

Ingredients
  • 1 cup Lima beans (I used fresh, but you could easily use frozen)
  • 2 cups Brussels sprouts
  • 1/2 medium onion
  • 1 1/2 Tbs Masaman curry paste (approx. 1/4 can)
  • 2-3 cups water

Directions
  1. Shuck Lima beans if they are still in their pods (or use frozen).
  2. Cut ends and "ugly" leaves off the Brussels sprouts. Cut in half lengthwise.
  3. Slice onion.
  4. Add water and curry paste to a skillet. Bring to a boil.
  5. Add onions, beans, and Brussels sprouts.
  6. Simmer until Brussels sprouts are tender but not soggy.
  7. Evaporate off as much water as you want.

No comments: