Sunday, March 20, 2011

Grapefruit and Nasturtium Salad

Approx. 120 Calories per serving. Recipe makes 1 (large) serving.

I love early spring at the downtown Phoenix farmer's market. One of my favorite vendors is the Roosevelt Grow Collective Garden. Right now, they have bags of mixed field greens with nasturtium flowers. I always buy the greens with the flowers. Seacat Gardens had a nice baby spinach, so I needed to get that too. I still had several grapefruits from a coworker, so I just decided to combine these simple ingredients into a beautiful, colorful, tasty salad. I decided that the peppery nasturtium plus the bitter/sweet taste of the grapefruit had enough flavor that I didn't need any additional dressing. I was quite happy with the way it turned out.

Ingredients
  • 2 cups baby spinach
  • 2 cups mixed greens
  • 1 cup nasturtium flowers
  • 1 medium grapefruit (w/ juice)

Directions
  1. Peel and segment grapefruit.
  2. Mound mixed greens and spinach on a plate.
  3. Add flowers and grapefruit segments and juice.

No comments: