Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Spicy peanut "noodles"

Approx. 200 Calories per serving. Recipe makes 3 servings.
At the market this weekend, I bought 2 purple bell peppers. I wasn't quite sure what to expect. When I sliced them, I discovered that only the outer skin was purple, and the inner part of the pepper was green. I thought it would look good in this dish, so decided to add them. I should have taken a picture of them before adding them, because shortly after they were warmed, the purple color reverted back to green. So, if you buy purple bell peppers, plan to eat them raw if you want to show off the color. Otherwise, just get the green ones.
This recipe used the same ideas as Zucchini in Peanut Sauce and the Thai Peanut Noodles recipes that I previously made. However, I wanted something a little more substantial for dinner, so I added some chicken and a few more veggies to it. Because I was adding peanuts to this dish, I went pretty light on the amount of peanut sauce that I added. If you like a stronger peanut flavor (and want the dish to be saucier), you may want to double the amount of sauce.
Ingredients
  • 7 oz boneless skinless chicken breast
  • 1 jumbo zucchini (approx. 3 1/2 cups)
  • 1 medium chili pepper (mine was yellow, approx. 1/3 cup)
  • 2 bell peppers (approx. 1 1/4 cup)
  • 1 large bulbed green onion
  • 1 tsp olive oil
  • 2 Tbs Thai peanut sauce
  • 1/8 cup peanuts (I used unsalted)
  • 1/4 cup water
Directions
  1. Julienne the zucchini to form "noodles", avoiding the seeds.
  2. Slice the other vegetables.
  3. Cut the chicken into cubes.
  4. Heat the oil in a large skillet and then add the chicken.
  5. Cook the chicken until nearly done and then add the bell pepper and chili peppers.
  6. Cook until the pepper is tender and the chicken is done.
  7. Add the water and the zucchini "noodles" and toss with the other ingredients.
  8. Cook until the "noodles" are tender.
  9. Add the peanut sauce, green onion, and peanuts.
  10. Mix well and heat until everything is warm.

No comments: