I've had a few recipe misses lately (that didn't make the blog) and decided to fall back on making trusted recipes for a while. Here is a quick soup I made that pretty much used up every member of the onion family, plus a few other assorted veggies. I basically added the carrots for some color and texture.
- 1 large leek (approx. 2 cups)
- 1 medium onion (approx. 1 cup)
- 1 shallot (approx. 1/4 cup)
- 2 green onions (approx. 1/3 cup)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 3 small red potatoes (approx. 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 medium carrot (approx. 1 cup)
- 4 oz halibut or other firm white fish.
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes, or to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- 8 cups water
- Wash and slice potatoes and carrots (I left the skin on both).
- Add to a pot of water.
- Add grated garlic and spices.
- Cook for approx. 5 minutes.
- Clean and chop all other vegetables and add to the pot (except green onion).
- Cook until all vegetables are tender.
- Cut halibut into cubes and add to pot.
- Cook until fish is done and flakes.
- Add green onions.
- Mix well, and then serve.