Saturday, January 16, 2010

Spicy chicken lettuce wrap

Approx. 130 Calories per wrap. Recipe makes 6 wraps.

I bought fish at the Farmer's Market to cook for dinner tonight, but it was still frozen by the time I was ready to cook and I didn't want to deal with it. I made a quick trip to the grocery store and decided to buy a package of ground chicken breast. When I got home and surveyed the kitchen for available ingredients, I decided that a quick Asian-style lettuce wrap would be tasty and would use up some items that either needed to be eaten or tossed.

I normally wouldn't put tomatoes or rice in this dish, but I had a handful of cherry tomatoes left over from last week that were shriveling up and starting to look less than appealing. I also had some leftover rice from Chinese takeout and decided to toss that in too. Lucky for that, since I went a little crazy with the chili peppers (it was HOT!!) and the rice helped cut the spiciness.

Ingredients
  • 8 oz ground chicken breast (or ground turkey)
  • 3/4 cup onion
  • 3/4 cooked rice
  • 1/2 cup water chestnuts
  • 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes
  • 1/4 cup Serrano chili peppers (adjust to your taste)
  • 1/4 cup basil
  • 1/4 cup green onion
  • 2 cloves garlic
  • 2 Tbs grated fresh ginger
  • 2 Tbs soy sauce (low sodium)
  • 2 tsp olive oil
  • 6 large lettuce leaves

Directions
  1. Chop all herbs and vegetables.
  2. Wash lettuce leaves and pat dry - make sure they are dry before serving!
  3. Grate ginger and garlic into a skillet.
  4. Add oil and heat until it sizzles.
  5. Add ground chicken and cook until mostly white.
  6. Add onion and chili peppers.
  7. Cook until chicken is completely cooked and onion and chili peppers soften.
  8. Add rice and water chestnuts, and cook until warm.
  9. Add soy sauce and mix well.
  10. Add basil and green onions, and cook until just wilted.
  11. Scoop onto lettuce leaves to serve.

No comments: